Saturday, December 24, 2016

Ouke Voorhees, Husband of Mary Kershow and Lammetje Kershow

 Ouke Voorhees, Husband of Mary Kershow and Lammetje Kershow

The wife of Ouke Voorhees (#826)[i], Lammetje Kershow, was not the daughter of Jacob Kershaw and Jannetje Bogart, nor born on 10 Feb 1741 and did not marry Ouke on 24 May 1770.  Some background on the Kershow family is helpful in understanding who this Ouke Voorhees married.

Jacob Kershow, of Brooklyn, NY, married Rachel Smith by license dated 19 Nov 1783[ii].  Given his residence, he was probably the son of Jacob Casshow and Jannetje Bogart, mentioned in the will of his father dated May 23, 1765 at Brooklyn[iii].  The will of Jacob Kershaw Jr.[iv], dated 2/7/1822, initially mentions seven of his children.  He then makes a provision that after the death of his wife his estate is to be divided between his children:
"Jannetje the wife of Abraham Voorhees, and Lametje the widow of Ouke Voorhees deceased and my seven children herein before particularly named.”  This implies a somewhat different relationship with Jannetje and Lammetje.  Both are known to have been born before Jacob married Rachel in 1783; Jannetje being born on 1/1/1771 and Lammetje on 8/3/1781
[v], from a biography of her son, David, and the 1850 Census of Bridgewater, Somerset, NJ for Henry McColm and Allema McColm which gives her age as 68.  Lammetje married 2nd Henry McColm by license dated 15 Mar 1824[vi].

The mother of Jannetje and Lammetje was most likely Lammetje Lupardus.  She was the daughter of Christian Lupardus and Lammetje Stryker, born about 1741, mentioned in the will of her father
[vii], dated 14 October 1767, to receive an outset as her sisters had received, implying she was not yet married.  She is mentioned in the will of her brother, Whilemus[viii], dated 23 March 1777, as Lammetje Cushow, so she had married in the interim.  Given the fact that it appears that Jannetje, daughter of Jacob Kershow by his first wife, was named after her paternal grandmother, it is likely his daughter Lammetje was named after her maternal grandmother, presumably Lammetje Stryker.

An Ouke Voorhees married Mary Kershow, of Brooklyn, by license dated 5/24/1768
[ix].  The date appearing in “Marriage Licenses Prior to 1784” of 5/24/1770 is incorrect, based on the reference to Liber 13.  Jacob Kershow was the bondsman, undoubtedly her brother.  Mary is also mentioned in her father's will. It is unknown if Ouke and Mary had any children,[1] or when either of them died.

It is possible that Ouke married as his 2nd wife, Lammetje Kershow.  The biography of David Voorhees referred to earlier gives the birth date of his father as 29 Aug 1743.  His brother, Peter, is mentioned, but not any half-siblings or a previous marriage for his father.  Though it seems unlikely that Ouke would have been 38 years older than his 2nd wife, and had his only children when he was 63 and 73 years old, I don't know of any alternatives for the husband of Lammetje Kershow.  Probably the same Ouke Voorhees (#826) married both Mary Kershow in 1768 and Lammetje Kershow about 1805.

 


[1] VVFA, 1st Six Generations, p. 284 lists a son, John, born 1 Nov 1771, but no source or further information is given


[i] The Van Voorhees Family in America, the First Six Generations, Compiled and Edited by Florence A. Christoph, pages 103, 284.
[ii] 1783, Nov. 19.  Smith Rachael, of Brooklyn, spinster, and Jacob Cershow - Jacob Cershow, of Brooklyn, Kingss Co., John Cershow, of Kings Co., farmer (40:122)
 New York Marriage Bonds, 1753 - 1783 Compiled by Dr. Kenneth Scott, pg 386.
[iii] In the name of God, Amen, May 23, 1765. I, JACOB Cassow,of Brookland, in Kings County, being sick, do make and ordain this my last will. My Body to the earth, to be buried in a decent, Christian-like manner, and all debts to be paid. I leave to my wife Femmitie, in whom I am well pleased, one third of all the income of my estate, after all charges of husbandry and family expenses are paid, and so long as she remains my widow and continues in my son's family. Also the use of half the house, and firewood at the door. But if she inclines to remove from my house, she shall have all the things and goods she brought with her when I married her, and one third of the income, the expense of the blacksmith first to be taken out. I leave to my son Tunis all my land and meadows in Boswick, in Kings County, and he is to pay £300. I leave to my son Jacob my house, barn, orchard, and all land and woodland in the township of Brookland, and he is to pay £400. I leave to my two sons all my salt meadows. I leave to my daughter Maria £40, as a outsett when she comes to be married, and £80 after my wife s death. I leave to my wife's daughter Belitie £40. I leave to my son Isaac £40, as an outset when married, and £80 after my wife's death, and a good saddle horse when of age. I leave to my wife's son, Michael Van Cleef, £40. To my wife's daughter Femmitie £40, for an outset, and £40 after my wife's death. To my daughter Jannettie £40, and £120 after my wife s death. These are to be paid by my sons, and the rest used to pay my debts. I leave to the children of my first wife, viz., Maria, Tunis, Jacob, and Isaac, all my household goods. All the rest of my movable estate to my sons Tunis and   Jacob, and I make them, and my good friends, Cornelius Duryee, of Cripplebush, and Abraham Schenck, executors. Witnesses, Jacob Benson, Joris Remsen, Tunis Rapelye. Proved, June 14, 1766, before John French, Surrogate. Abstracts of wills on file in the Surrogate's Office, City of New York (Volume VII. June 6, 1766-Nov. 29, 1771) ABSTRACTS OF WILLS LIBER 25. Page 250.
[iv] My abstract of Jacob Kershow, Jr.’s will:
Jacob Kershow (indexed as Cershow), of Bridgewater Twp, Somerset, NJ.  Youngest daughter, Hannah, and daughter, Catherine, to receieve what other daughters have had, when of age or married. Wife, Rachel.  Children: Jacob, Rachel, wife of Peter Burger, Mary, wife of Gilbert Stryker, Phebe, wife of Jacob Low, Ann, wife of Garret Stryker, Catherine, Hannah.  After the decease of his wife to his children: daughter, Jannetjewife of Abraham Voorhees, daughter, Lammetjewidow of Ouke Voorhees, and the
seven children mentioned previously.  Executors: wife, Rachel, friend John M. Schenck, Isaac Voorhees, son of Hans Voorhees and Aaron Lane. Witnesses: William Shades(?), Geeretje Van Dooren, Peter D. Vroom.  Dated 2/7/1822, Proved 12/14/1822
"New Jersey, Probate Records, 1678-1980," images, FamilySearch (
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-29823-4308-28?cc=2018330&wc=MQTC-TTG:338012501,341304501 : accessed 05 Aug 2014), Somerset > Wills 1820-1843 vol C-E > image 68 of 702.
[v] History of Hunterdon and Somerset Counties, New Jersey, compiled by James Snell, p. 850.
[vi] Somerset County Historical Quarterly, Vol 7, p. 148.
[vii] 1767, Oct 5.  Lupardus, Christianus, of Piscataway, Middlesex Co.; will of.
Daughters Antje and Lammetje, goods that were my wife's, deceased.  Son William £600.  Son Christianus, £400.  Daughter, Anatie Druie, wife of Cornelius Durie on Long Island, £200.  Daughter Atnje, £200.  Daughter Lammetje, £280 as she had no outset and the others had.  Son, Rem £50.  Granddaughter, Anne Van Winkle, £50.  All real and personal to be sold, except what is stated above.  Executors - my eldest son, William, Peter Lot of Flat Bush, Long Island and Cornelius Durre, of Brooklant, on said island.  Witnesses - Azariah Dunham, Isaac Elbertson, William Oake.
1767, Oct. 14.  Codicil.  Son, Christianus, two horses, etc.  Son, William, silver tankard.  Witnesses- William Oake, Nathaniel Manning, Stephen Campbell.  Proved March 5, 1768.  Lib. I, p. 224.
Documents Relating to the Colonial and Revolutionary History of the State of New Jersey, First Series, Vol 34, Calendar of New Jersey Wills, Vol 33, p. 263.
[viii] 1777, March 23. Lupardus, Wilhelmus, of Piscataway, Middlesex   Co.; will of.
My wearing apparel I give to my loving brother. Rem Lupardus, his son, my brother, Cristian Lupardus, and Christian, the son of Cornelius Duryea. Niece, Anne Beach, my silver tankard.  My real and rest of personal estate to be sold. Brother, Rem, £100.  Niece, Anne Beach, £125. Sister, Annatye Duryea, £100. Brother, Christian Lupardus, 1/3 of the rest. To the children of my late sister, Anna Probasco, 1/3. Sister, Lamitje Cushow, 1/3. Executors — brother, Rem Lupardus, of Hunterdon, my brother-in-law, Cornelius Duryea, of Long Island, and friend, Abraham Beach, of Somerset Co. Witnesses — Frances Brasier, Denys Vanduyn, John Van Duyn. Proved  May 6, 1778.
 1778, Jan. 29. Inventory, £358.15.6, made by George Anderson and Jeromus Rappelye. Lib. 20, p. 237.
Documents Relating to the Colonial and Revolutionary History of the State of New Jersey, First Series, Vol 34, Calendar of New Jersey Wills, Vol 34, p. 324.
[ix] 1768, Mary 24.  Voorhas, Oke, and Mary Carshauw, of Kings Co, spinster - Oke Voorhas, Jacob Carshow (13:112) New York Marriage Bonds, 1753 - 1783 Compiled by Dr. Kenneth Scott, p. 75

No comments:

Post a Comment